Monday, August 4, 2008

Girl Vocalists

I don't know what it is with female singers. I can't listen to them, save for the breathy, deep altos that I found oh so sexy. You know like Norah Jones, Cat Power, one of my exes. Oh man! Did she have the most beautiful voices ever! She introduced me to the concept of harmony and sadly it wasn't until I developed my infatuation with John Frusciante that I really appreciated the wonderful sonic qualities only harmony can provide. Writer Joscelyn Godwin provided great insight to how music is found in nature and even the supernatural. She proposed that all matter is in a state of vibration. And sound is only a vibration processed by our brain as a tone. Controlling nature is what we deem as probably a supernatural quality. Therefore, to control sound would be to control the world. Perhaps that is why music is, in my mind, the governing body of all creation. It is with music that the universe exists. Right now I'm simply jamming along to some Jack Johnson, "All At Once." I've never heard it. Although sometimes I can hardly distinguish the songs from one another. But I'm okay with that. Music can bring comfort, hurt, sadness, bliss, or even absolutely nothing. Music carries the power that we designate it at times. But at the most primal level, the waves in our atmosphere influence us. So at the most instinctual level music has and will only move you. Where is it moving you?

1 comment:

Pretty Unfamous said...

I guess that's where string theory comes from then, right?

I'm ok with female vocalists. If they've got a good range, then I think that's awesome.

And Jack Johnson? I think he's a musical genius. Ok, maybe not genius, but I think he was sent by the music gods.