Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fragile: This Side Up

My current profession is in the personal finance field and while I really enjoy helping people secure their financial future, sometimes it's so hard to discuss everyones' lives when you really get to know them. The majority of people I have talked to were complete strangers before our initial meeting. However, in an hour's time I am expected to know their income, family history, health, kids' names, their dreams, their plans, and faults. I guess I am pretty much in awe of how much responsibility I have and at times it can be overwhelming. In particular, this summer alone I have met a breast cancer survivor, as well as one with prostate cancer, a person with nearly $100,000 of credit card debt due to medical expenses, another who just learned that his mother has less than five years to live (He's 21!). In short, I have learned of some heavy stuff. It really adjusts my perspective on my problems. And you know, upon first seeing these people I obviously didn't know any of this. They seem like the usual suspects in my profession. To add, I've realized that any person I meet could be going through a number of these things. We just don't know. I'm not saying that this has turned me into a Spidermanesque character. I'm still selfish in certain things. I still get angry with perfect strangers. But I've learned to step back at times and reflect on my situation and I'm thankful.

But you're so busy changing the world
Just one smile can change all of mine
We share the same soul

One smile, it is a small gesture. We all share this world and I know it's very "hoakie," but even the smallest gesture to a person we know, used to know, or will know could help change this world. I'm so sick of the presidential slogans all preaching change. They will bring about change singlehandedly. I disagree. We will. This generation. The ones preceded us. And the thousands to come. I'm so excited for this world. I think we have some great people here and I can't wait to see what comes of it. There really is good out there ya know?


On a side note, if you're looking for a new band to build an infatuation with if your like me...Check these guys out!

http://www.myspace.com/fundamentalsmusic

Make it a great day!

No comments: