Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bernese Mountain Dogs



I have had an obsession with this dog ever for about three years now. I was visiting an ex's family down in Ozark, MO. Kind of long distance relationship, not to mention she grew up on a farm. I loved it though. I had been used to the usually (but not always) bitchy West-County girls of St. Louis. If you lived here, I'm sure you'd understand. So a nice chill country girl was great for me. However, I found that our personalities differed too much in order for this thing to really work, so naturally, we ended that.

However, aside from some great memories and life lessons I'm sure I gathered from my relationship with Kayla, the best had to be the Rogersville, MO county fair. I'm a "city-boy" and this was a very alien experience for me. I saw great Skynard cover bands, ate some delicious Ribs and corn fresh off of the grill, and even witnessed county residents compete for the best floating device (that could hold 4 people). Really, it ended up being the device that took the longest to sink. But either way, it was really cool. While sitting beneath the shade of a tall tree just off of the banks of the hoosier-infested river, there was the softest coat that brushed against my back. There standing was the most incredible canine ever. It was love at first sight and immediately I asked the owner at least twenty questions about the Mountain dog. She gladly obliged and now I'm simply waiting to get in a better financial and residential situation in order to pick up one of these precious creatures.
All I need is a house and $1200 and one can be mine. But honestly, I went to my first animal shelter this past weekend with my girlfriend and played with two of the greatest dogs ever, brothers Rocky and Reggie. They have been in this shelter for over six months now and dogs like these make me never want to buy from a breeder. There are thousands of dogs just like this, and I'd be so selfish to make sure that I got my precious Bernese Mountain dog by sacrificing beautiful animals like these. This also strongly ties in with my vies on adoption. I'm pretty sure that adoption will be the road I go down IF I ever decide to go the family route.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they not the cutest?!

Lynne said...

Scott, I know that you have no idea that the photo at the beginning of this post is my personal photo of one of my Bernese Mountain Dogs. It was pirated off my web site and seems to pop up everywhere. Poor Millie is famous when she shouldn't be!

Please, remove this photo as it is copyrighted.

Thank you.